Dear Class 12 Students,
In this article, we are going to talk about different options available for you after class 12 exams.
- 1 What to do After Class 12th?
- 2 Steps to Make Career After 12th Class
- 3 Career Options for Science Students after Class 12
- 4 Career Options for Commerce Students after Class 12
- 5 Career Options for Arts Students after Class 12
- 6 Suggested Reading for Class 12 Students
What to do After Class 12th?
All of us have heard this question so many times. With class 12 exams fast approaching, we believe students will be asking the same question again. Most of the students have absolutely no idea about the field they should choose. It is even more important because, the decision taken here will have a major effect in on your future.
You don’t need to worry, if you have not been able to figure out your interest till now. Many people take lifetime to figure out that. It is very difficult for students to decide on their own. That is why, mostly they choose something based on their friends’ or parents’ interests. Overhyped career options are frequently chosen. This is completely wrong way to make a career selection.
Steps to Make Career After 12th Class
- Sit down, take a notebook and write down your interests.
- Think of subject that you would like to study. Look for things which push to learn more about something
- Also consider for things/ subjects, which you don’t study or do
- Consider the timeline and effort that field would require. For example – time to complete of bachelors and masters degree in medical profession would take more than 10 years, while to do same in commerce would take only five years.
- Decide the pros and cons. Specially consider the things where you are not at all comfortable, like Math or Chemistry formulae, or poems in English etc
- See the kind of jobs being offered to graduates of that subject
So now you have some options to look for. Research more about them. At the same time, prepare a simultaneous list of things which you don’t want to pursue at all.
Career Options for Science Students after Class 12
1.Engineering and allied Subjects (B.E / B Tech/ B.Arch):
Engineering is by far most popular choice of students after class 12 exams. You need to have Physics, Chemistry and Math in class 12 to pursue engineering course. Many colleges also have some kind of minimum qualifying marks.
Indian Institute of Technologies (IITs) (Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) are the best engineering colleges in India. National Institute of Technologies (NITs), few IIITs and some private institutes are among the best engineering colleges in India.
2. Medical and allied subjects:
Medical is one of the most sought after course after class 12 exams. Courses available in medical stream are MBBS, BDS, BVS, B. Pharm and Nursing.
M.B.B.S (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery)- complete course on Human anatomy. The course duration is approximately five and half years. One more year internship is mandatory after the course.
Students generally pursue post graduation with specialisation in one stream like cardiology, anesthesiology, surgery, gynecology, neuro sciences, opthamology, paediatrics and orthopedics.
B.D.S (Bachelor in Dental Sciences)- course on dental (teeth) surgery. The course duration is 5 years with one year internship.
B.V.S (Bachelor in Veterinary Sciences)- course on animal diseases and surgery. The course duration is four and half years and internship. Post graduation with specialisation is preferred.
B. Pharm (Bachelor of Pharmacy)- course on drug research and production in pharmaceutical companies. The course duration is four years.
B.Sc Nursing– course on healthcare, medicine dispensing and caring of patients.
Biotechnology- course on upcoming technologies for manipulation of living organisms and cellular components to innovate new products, processes or services. Course duration is 4 years.
B.H.M.S (Bachelor in Homeopathic Medicinal Sciences)- course on curing ailments using homeopathic medicines. The course duration is 5 1/2 years.
B.A.M.S (Bachelor in Ayurveda Medicinal Sciences)- course on how to cure/ restore the body balance without any side effects. The course duration is only 3 years.
3.Basic Sciences (BSc)
B.Sc is a popular choice for many students. Major subject for B.Sc students can be Chemistry, Mathematics, Zoology, Botany, Geology, Physics etc. After completing B.Sc, one can go further and complete Masters degree (M.Sc) in the same field.
Popular career choices for the B.Sc graduates are teaching, research, and government jobs.
Career Options for Commerce Students after Class 12
- B.Com- If you like to choose the most widely chosen option, you can pursue B.Com with specialization in any one subject
- BBM/ BBA- Job role: manage a business professionally. Most of the students pursue MBA after completing BBA/ BBM
- C.A. (Chartered accountancy) – Job role: audit company’s books, stock brokers and income tax assesses. Student can join CA course after the 12 board examination or after graduating.
- C.S. (Company secretary) – Job role: meet the company’s statutory obligations. You can apply for CS course after passing 12th class examination.
- CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) – Job role: manage the areas of financial accounting, management accounting, financial management, investment management, security evaluation, project planning, venture capital management and credit rating. The course duration is 3-years after post graduation degree.
Career Options for Arts Students after Class 12
For arts students, most popular choice after passing the class 12 exams is BA, with a special subject as the major subject. After completing graduation, many students pursue masters course (MA) in their selected subject and few even proceed to Ph.D.
Some important majors offered by various colleges are history, sociology, languages, literature, law, philosophy, performing arts, anthropology, communication, psychology, religion, etc.
Some of the attractive career options for arts stream students are writer, journalist, editor, psychologist, counsellor, sociologist, social worker, human resources, lawyer, School Teacher/College Professor/university Professor etc.
Many arts students opt for government jobs like UPSC exams, IAS, Banking and insurance exams for secure career.
This is only very broad list. There are so many career options in each option as well. At the same time, one can have amalgamation of two or more courses as well, through diploma courses.
Let us know, if you still have any doubt about choosing your career. At Vagupu, we provide complete support to the students. You can ask any kind of question in the comment section given below.
Suggested Reading for Class 12 Students
- CBSE Class 12 Sample Papers for Download
- CBSE Class 12 Syllabus
- CBSE 2016 Class 12 Solved Question Papers Download
- How to score 99% Marks in 12th Grade Board Exams
- Top 10 Engineering Colleges in India
- How to Write Perfect Answers in Class 12 Exams